Garsington village hall is sited in a conservation area in the very centre of the village. The hall is a notable local landmark and of historical significance.
It was built in 1911 and given to the village by the lord of the manor, Phillip Morrell husband of Ottoline Morrell, doyenne of the Bloomsbury group of writers and artists who used to meet at the manor. By association it has connection with famous writers and artists such as Aldous Huxley, W.B.Yeats, Virginia Wolf and D.H Lawrence.
For most of the twentieth century it served the needs of the villagers and a number of small improvements were made over the years. Latterly it became clear that major improvements and additions were needed to bring it up to modern day standards and a fund was established for a new village hall. This fund, together with a number of grants and donations, has enabled us to undertake a complete renovation and expansion of the hall. This refurbishment has been supported by:
- South Oxfordshire District Council (CIF) Fund
- South Oxfordshire LEADER Programme (RDPE)
- Oxfordshire County Council Community Fund
- Garsington Parish Council
The present day building has retained its original appearance as well as adding modern-day facilities which will ensure its continued use in the future. Garsington is justifiably proud of its ‘new’ old village hall.